Friday, January 13, 2012

Blog Eight

Quote: "Every once in awhile I'd see one at Rodney's Legion games, but just snooping back then. None of them approached me, but I always knew they were there. You can spot them a mile off. Mirrored sunglasses, bald heads scorched from sitting in the sun all day, every day" (Currie Jr. 70).

Response/Personal: The context of this quote is taken from the section of the book when Rodney has turned seventeen and he has become a great pitcher. I feel as if this story, again, will keep me entertained as I read. Rodney has went from a 12 year old cocaine addict, to cocaine free, and now to an all star pitcher. I would like to find out why the author told in the beginning of the book that the world was going to end. 





Analysis: The author uses Rodney's father as a way to even further characterize Rodney. The point of view is on John Sr. and he basically talks about how scouts have come to see his son pitch a baseball. He talks about how much Rodney has changed now that he is clean and how he still has some protecting to do of his son. "Because the truth is Rodney still needs protecting... That didn't add up though because he wasn't hanging with the jean-jacket crowd or cutting school. In fact he was, and still id, almost as dedicated to school as church" (Currie Jr. 71).

Discussion of book, with Ron Currie Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment