Friday, January 13, 2012

Blog Five

Quote: "My legs are hurting me real bad and I'm getting a feeling between my eyes that's not good at all. I can hear my heart beat in my ears. The light through the windows is weird, like it's bent or something. And I keep thinking I want my ma, that's all I think over and over and it's kind of embarrassing because it's not like I'm four years old, besides which it never mattered to me much before whether or not she was around. But now that's all I want, I admit it even though it's embarrassing because it's about honesty here, I want my ma and I don't care" (Currie Jr. 56)

Response/Personal: The quote is taken from the part of the story when Rodney is admitted to an addiction clinic. What's happening in the quote, to me, is a really big part of the story, even though it is down played due to the fact I know the world in this story is going to end. Rodney is only twelve years old and he is addicted to cocaine. All the characters up until this point have displayed little if any emotion in the story. It's not only surprising to me that Rodney is showing some emotion, but he finally after all this time admits what's been bothering him, his mom not being there.



Analysis: The author uses show don't tell in this passage in order for the reader to completely understand how Rodney is feeling at this moment. He also uses show don't tell and word choice as another way to show that Rodney is not a bad person, he's still only a child that was mixed up with a bad role model. "I should be scared, but I'm not. I feel really mellow and it's something to do with Ma's hand nice and cool on my face, and her voice. She's talking to God like she does, asking him to help me and I'm sure there's no way he could say no to her. For the first time since I got here I don't want any drugs at all. I listen to Ma praying and I know what Uncle Rodney said isn't true. And I'm going to be okay" (Currie Jr. 57).

No comments:

Post a Comment