Friday, January 13, 2012

Blog Two

Quote: "The first time I tried it I didn't like it. My nose burned and there was a funny taste in the back of my throat that made me keep swallowing real fast like right before you puke. Plus the back of my throat was numb, and I didn't like that either. But then a few seconds later something happened and I got high" (Currie Jr. 25).

Response/Personal: The context of this quote comes from the mini-bio of Rodney, the seem to be main characters brother. In this scene, Rodney has tried cocaine for the first time. He learned how to use it from his uncle. Rodney has no idea that his uncle is a drug dealer and just thinks that getting a high is a recreational activity. In my opinion, the only reason why Rodney has tried cocaine is one, because Rodney is following his uncle and he doesn't know what it can do to him, and two, Rodney is a little bit angry with the fact that his mother has been paying more attention to the new born than him. The mini-bio, (as I call it), has not mentioned Rodney's age which is a bit confusing to me because I would like to know how old he is. He's old enough to do cocaine, but he's not old enough to realize that his mother has to pay more attention to the newborn than him.

Analysis:The author uses Rodney to show a little bit of whats wrong with this world in the story (Dystopian Aspect). Although this section doesn't mention Rodney's age, you can tell that he's young because he gets jealous at the fact that his mother is paying more attention to the baby than she is to him. "But then a few seconds later something happened and I got high" (Currie Jr. 25) Rodney is a child and does cocaine. This is how the author shows whats wrong with this world. How can a child be able to do cocaine not once, but anytime he goes to his uncle's house?

Small article about "Crack kids" 



1 comment:

  1. Good interaction with text.
    Analysis needs to be more specifically focused on elements of the author's style. For example, this passage is narrated in an informal, conversational voice. How does the author achieve that? What is the effect?

    ReplyDelete